KV Online

Search resumes at Brazil mine disaster site

Search resumes at Brazil mine disaster site
Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Brumadinho (AFP): Fears of a second dam breach at a Brazilian mining complex receded Sunday, enabling a search to resume for the more than 300 people still missing two days after a dam collapse that has killed at least 58 people.

Loudspeakers rang out at 5:30 am (0730 GMT) among homes surrounding the Corrego do Feijao mining complex in southeastern Brazil, warning of dangerously high water levels, according to mine owner Vale.

Workers at the complex are still reeling after a barrier at the site burst on Friday, spewing millions of tons of treacherous sludge and engulfing buildings, vehicles and roads.

Firefighters halted the search for survivors and immediately began evacuating communities near the dike, which contains at least 800 million gallons of water. But several hours later, civil defense officials gave the all clear.

“There is no more risk of a break,” said Lieutenant Colonel Flavio Godinho, a spokesman for the state civil defense agency, explaining that the high water levels had been drained off. “The search has resumed — by land, by aircraft and with dogs.” Dozens of helicopters were set to be deployed because the thick mud was too treacherous for ground rescuers.

The latest official toll from the dam breach was 58 dead and 305 missing, according to Godinho. He said rescuers found a bus full of bodies.


KV Online

Kashmir Vision cover all latest updates

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *