‘Booster dose’ vaccine for frontline health workers, senior citizens begins today
New Delhi, Jan 10: The precautionary third dose of coronavirus vaccines will be administered to the frontline workers and senior citizens from today onwards, officials said.
Notably, the Union health ministry has announced that there is no need to re-register on CoWin for precautionary dose. Those eligible can simply walk-in at the vaccination center.
The booster dose will be given to only those who have taken their both doses of vaccine at least nine months ago. The Centre has cleared that the third dose will be the same as first two doses and there will be no mix and match.
The “precautionary dose” was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi last month amid continued demands for booster doses in view of the Omicron threat.
“Corona warriors, healthcare, and frontline workers have a huge contribution in keeping the country safe… Therefore, from the point of view of precaution, the government has decided that to start administering “Precaution Doses” for healthcare and frontline workers,” PM Modi had said on December 25. (with inputs from agencies)