KV News

Transporters postpone scheduled meet

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Srinagar: A meeting called by different transport associations on Tuesday to discuss the problems being faced by the industry in the Kashmir has been postponed.
Shops and business establishments remained closed and traffic was off the roads for the 93rd day after normal activities in the morning for few hours on Tuesday in Kashmir valley.
Sources in the sector on Tuesday said the meeting was called by different transport associations to discuss the prevailing situation, particularly losses being suffered due to spontaneous strike since August 5 in the valley, where people are protesting against scrapping of Article 370 and 35 A besides dividing the state into two union territories by the centre.
Thousands of vehicles remained parked in bus and other stands or on the roads in the valley causing huge losses. Thousands of drivers, conductors and other workers associated with the sector have been left jobless due to the strike.
Sources said the meeting was called to discuss the future strategy since no organization or association has called for strike in the valley. However, it was later decided to postpone the meeting since all leaders of transport associations are under detention.
“About resumption of transport service, the members expressed concern about safety and security of drivers and passengers,” sources said.
They said the sector has already suffered huge losses due to strike and any damage to vehicles or drivers or conductors will prove disastrous.
Meanwhile, various trader bodies have asserted to decide whether to continue the strike or suspend it only after their leaders were released from detentions.
“Once our leaders, who remain under detention since centre scrapped Article 370 and Article 35 A on August 5, are released the only will we be able to decide the future course of action,” a member of Kashmir Traders and Manufacturers Federation (KTMF) said.
He said President of KTMF Mohammad Yasin Khan, who remained under detention outside the valley since August 5, was not released even to pay last respect to his mother, who passed away last month.
Similarly, he said leaders of other trade and transport associations remain under detention.
Transport service, including the buses of State Road Transport Corporation (SRTC) buses, were off the roads while train service remained suspended since August 5.
The internet service and pre-paid mobile network of all Cellular companies, including Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL), remained suspended since August 5 as a precautionary measure in the valley, badly affecting professionals, students, doctors and media persons. However, postpaid and landline phones are working smoothly.

KV News

Kashmir Vision cover all daily updates for the newspaper

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *