KV News

Day 93: Life remains affected due to partial shutdown across Valley

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page
Reading Time: 2 minutes

Srinagar: Shops and business establishments remained closed and public transport was off the roads for the 93rd day after normal activities in the morning for few hours on Tuesday in Kashmir valley, where people are protesting against scrapping of Article 370 and 35 A, besides downgrading the state and dividing it into two Union Territories (UTs) on August 5.
Political activities also remained suspended as almost all leaders of different mainstream political parties remained under detention since August 5 in the valley, where assemble of four or more people is banned under section 144 CrPC.
There is no curfew in any part of the valley, including summer capital, Srinagar, police said on Tuesday.
Train service also remained suspended for the past 93 days for security reasons in the valley since August 5. The communication network was also snapped to prevent rumours. However, landlines and postpaid mobile connectivity was restored but internet service and pre-paid mobile network of all Cellular companies, including Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL), remained suspended since August 5.
The historic Jamia Masjid in the down town remained closed for devotees. All gates of worship place remained closed to prevent assemble of people in the masjid, stronghold of chairman of moderate Hurriyat Conference (HC) Mirwaiz Moulvi Omar Farooq. The Central Paramilitary Forces (CPMFs) remained deployed in the Jamia market and outside the Masjid, where no prayers, including on Fridays, were held since August 5.
Business and other activities resumed in most parts of Srinagar, including historic Lal Chowk and Gantaghar this morning at 0700 hrs. However, roadside vendors were missing in the area where one person was killed and over 35 others injured in a grenade attack by unidentified persons in civil line area on Monday afternoon. Shops in the nearby areas also remained closed. Traffic jam was also witnessed at some places, including uptown, in the morning. However, life again came to halt at 1100 hrs when shopkeepers closed their establishments and left for home.
Transport service, including the buses of State Road Transport Corporation (SRTC) buses, remained off the roads. Private vehicles and three wheelers were also seen plying on different routes, particularly in the uptown and civil lines. A number of cabs were seen plying on some routes.
Life remained paralysed due to strike in this and other north Kashmir towns, a report from Baramulla said. Traffic was off the roads though good number of vehicles were seen plying on Srinagar-Uri highway. Additional security forces have been deployed at sensitive places to prevent any law and order problem.
Shops and business establishments remained closed in this and other district and tehsil headquarters of south Kashmir on Saturday, a report from Anantnag said. However, private vehicles were seen plying on the roads but passenger traffic remained off the roads. Complete shutdown also continued in south Kashmir district of Kulgam.
There was no change in the situation as similar reports were also received from central Kashmir districts of Ganderbal and Budgam.

KV News

Kashmir Vision cover all daily updates for the newspaper

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *