KV Correspondent

Srinagarites observe spontaneous shutdown, restrictions imposed 

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Srinagar: A spontaneous shutdown was observed in Srinagar areas on Monday while the district administration imposed restrictions in Old City areas here to thwart any protest against the militant killings in an encounter at Hakoora Anantnag.

Three militants including one of Soura Srinagar identified as Muhammad Ahsan Fazili, son of Muhammad Nayeem Fazli alias Eesa were killed in an encounter that raged between forces and militants in Hakoora village of South Kashmir’s Anantnag district.

As soon as the news about the killing of Soura militant spread, all the shops and business established were closed especially in the commercial Hub Lal Chowk.

However, authorities as precautionary measure deployed forces in strength in sensitive areas of Srinagar including Maisuma, Nowhatta, Safa Kadal and its adjacent areas.

Officials said that the forces were deployed to thwart any possible protest against the militant killings.

Witnesses said that the forces had also erected temporary barricades at several entry points of the restriction bound areas, which halted the pedestrian as well as the vehicular movement in these areas.

Meanwhile, clashes erupted between youth and forces at several places including Pulwama and Soura.

Witnesses said clashes erupted between youth and forces after people marched towards the residence of Fazli at Soura.

They said that the forces deployed in strength used tear gas canisters to disperse the youth who were pelting stones on them.

Notably, following the militant killings, the Hurriyat Conference (M) chairman, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq was placed under house detention while the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), Muhammad Yasin Malik was detained from his Maisuma residence and was lodged at Police Station Kothi Bagh.

Clashes also erupted in Shirpora area of Anantnag’s Main town and Murran chowk area of Pulwama’s main town however no injury was reported.

Notably, most parts of South Kashmir remained shut to mourn the killing of militants and most schools in South Kashmir also remained off which were scheduled to open after three month long winter break.

Meanwhile, authorities also suspended the mobile internet services in Srinagar and Anantnag districts in wake of the militant killings.

Sources said that telecom operators were asked to reduce the high-speed of mobile Internet “as a precautionary measure”.

The high-speed mobile internet services were reduced to 2g and later the services were suspended altogether, sources added.

KV Correspondent

Kashmir Correspondent cover all daily updates for the newspaper

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *