KV Correspondent

Injured LeT militant succumbs, laid to rest in Hajin

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Srinagar: It was probably after a gap of nearly three years that a militant believed to be a foreigner, who succumbed to his injuries was laid to rest in Hajin town of Bandipora amid protests and sloganeering.

The militant identified as Abu Haris of Lahkar-e-Taiba was injured in a gunfight with a joint team of CRPF, army and police at Bon Mohalla area of Hajin on Monday.

Since 2015, the authorities had barred people from burying the foreign militants after a huge gathering was witnessed during the funeral of Abu Qasim, Lashkar-e-Toiba commander who was killed in a gunfight with government forces in January that year.

Meanwhile, Inspector General of Police Kashmir Range Swayam Prakash Pani said that the militant had escaped with the help of his accomplices after an encounter with a joint team of police, army and CRPF.

He said that police could not take the body in order to avoid any breach of law and order situation in the area. He, however, said that action will be taken who have given shelter to the militant.

A case has been registered and those behind will be identified and action as per law will be taken against them.

“On specific input, yesterday security forces cordoned off Bon Mollah at Hajan. While the cordon was being laid there was an exchange of fire,” IGP said, adding “though in the search operation nobody was recovered consequently it was learnt that one militant of LeT was injured in the encounter”.

On Tuesday morning, IGP said, the authorities came to know about the death of the militant.

“Since the body was already in the village request was made to the villagers to hand over the body to police. Meanwhile, the body was buried amidst a procession led by some miscreants. The police are ascertaining the identity of the militant who is understood to be not a local militant. Also necessary legal action has been initiated against the people who led the protest and instigated public,” the IGP added.

Meanwhile, Hajin town and adjoining areas on Tuesday observed a complete shutdown against the killing of the militant.

According to the locals, all shops, business establishments and educational institutions remained closed in the area to mourn the death of a militant.


KV Correspondent

Kashmir Correspondent cover all daily updates for the newspaper

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *