Mob attempts to set a mentally deranged person on fire
Sopore: With police failing to act against the unscrupulous elements involved in ‘braid chopping’, the frenzied crowds are enjoying a hey day by targeting innocents and labeling them as ‘braid choppers’.
The mob frenzy has become so uncontrollable that vigilante crowds are taking law into their own hands and targeting of innocents by attempting to lynch them or causing a serious injury to them.
On Friday a violent mob in north Kashmir’s Sopore not only attempted to lynch a mentally challenged man to death, but tried to burn him alive on a mere suspicion of being a him of being a braid chopper.
According to the reports, the unruly mob caught hold of Wasim Ahmad Tantray near Mustafa Memorial Fruit Mandi Sopore and thrashed him to the pulp before trying to set him ablaze.
Wasim, according to the police is a resident of Shrakwara village of Sopore at present Puth Khah Nowpora Sopor. The said person was immediately rushed to SDH Sopore. The condition of injured is stated to be critical and has been referred to Srinagar for treatment.
Police said that they got the information that a mob has caught hold of an alleged braid chopper near Fruit Mandi area.
“Immediately a police party rushed to the spot and found that a mob was beating one person ruthlessly. The miscreants had also burnt some dry grass and were trying to set the person ablaze. Some miscreants were trying to run a tractor over him,” police said. Meanwhile, forces tried to rescue the alleged chopper from the mob by lobbing some tear smoke shells which triggered clashes in the area in which at least five civilian sustained minor shell injuries.
SSP Sopore Harmeet Singh Mehta said that a man was roaming in Mazbugh area of Sopore town at about 03 am on Friday in suspicious condition. He was caught by people and labeled as s braid chopper.
“With the timely action of police, the boy was saved. We have shifted him to the hospital in a critical condition,” Singh said.
Singh also said that police has launched an FIR and started investigation into the matter.
“We have identified the culprits involved in the incident and we will soon start their arrests,” Singh added.
SSP Sopore said that they have registered an FIR no. 303/2017 under section 307 RPC and the culprits involved have been identified.
Meanwhile, in Hazratbal area of Srinagar, a man who was on his way to pray at the Shrine was “mistaken” as braid chopper and people tried to kill him by drowning him in the Dal Lake.
According to a police statement, a protest was held at Hazratbal over the alleged overnight braid chopping incident in the locality.
“The police personnel without using any force persuaded the protestors to disperse and after dispersal some persons on reaching near the banks of Dal Lake caught hold of one person (name withheld) who had came to visit the Hazratbal mosque for prayers and accused him of being a braid chopper,” police said
The “violent mob” also tried to drown him in the waters of Dal Lake just to get his confession of being a braid chopper.”
“They tried to lynch him but police party reached on spot and rescued the person from being lynched,” police added.
“The police party in a very professional manner rescued the person from being lynched and saved a precious life. During the rescue violent mob pelted stones on the police party, however, police with the help of some respectable citizens was able to save the innocent person from being lynched,” the police said.
Police said that a case under relevant provisions of law has been registered and investigation taken up.
Mob Justice takes over
- October 3: Boy beaten in Delina Baramulla
- October 6: Police rescues two locals from a mob in Ishber Nishat
- October 6: Braid chopping claims first casualty in Dantar area of Anantnag.
- October 7: A transgender, dressed as a woman, was caught by a mob and beaten on suspicion of being a braid chopper.
- October 8: Mistaken as braid choppers, lives of six foreign tourists put at risk in Dal lake
- October 8: Mentally unsound man thrashed in Kangan area of Ganderbal district.
- October 9: Four rag pickers rescued by police accused of braid chopping
- October 11: Mentally challenged among three beaten up for alleged braid chopping in Khankahbagh Pampore.
- October 17: Mob thrashes soldier accused of braid-chopping in Kupwara
- October 17: Army men thrashed in Kangan, their vehicle set on fire
- October 17: Locals beat army man in Uri
- October 19: SPO beaten in Hazratbal accused of being a braid chopper
- October 20: A mentally challenged man beaten in Sopore