Irfan Tramboo

Policeman injured in militant attack succumbs to injuries  

Policeman injured in militant attack succumbs to injuries  
Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Srinagar: A week after he was injured in a militant attack near SMHS hospital in Srinagar, Head Constable Habibullah’s struggle to stay alive ended.

The slain cop and another of his colleague, Wilayat Ahmad sustained injuries on Friday last when suspected gunmen opened fire on a police party in Kak Sarai area of the summer capital here.

The police head constable was struggling for life at Sher-e-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS), Soura for a week.

Head constable, Habbibullah a resident of Sopore in north Kashmir was hit with a bullet in the back side of his head and was immediately referred to SKIMS for further treatment that day, where his condition was being continuously monitored at the institute’s Intensive Care Unit (ICU).

Deceased Head Constable is said to be the lone bread earner of his family who now has left the family of 7 members including three daughters, two sons, a wife and old aged parents, now to fend for them themselves.

Doctors who attended him at SKIMS said that from day one he had been struggling for his life with no improvement.

“He had severe injuries in his head caused due to a bullet that hit him from the back side, given the gravity of his injuries, we did our best but couldn’t save him,” doctors said.

During the attack, one more policeman who was identified as Wilayat Ahmad had also sustained injuries in his hand and arm. He, however is said to be stable. Both the police personnel were stationed at Police Station Karan Nagar at the time when they suffered injuries.

Medical Superintendent, SKIMS Dr Farooq Jan while confirming the death of head constable said “he succumbed to his injuries early on Friday morning. He said that the slain cop had serious injuries in his head.”

“Our doctors did their best in order to save a life, but his injuries were grievous. We tried our best,” he added.

Meanwhile, according to a police spokesperson here in Srinagar, Habibullah is survived by three daughters Riffat Ara, aged 21 years, “whose marriage was scheduled next week,” a spokesperson said. “Insha student of 10th class, Rubeena student of 6th class, two sons Ghulam Mohi-ud-Din about 22 years old and Kaiser Ahmad Lone about 26 years old besides wife and aged parents.”

Meanwhile, despite rains, thousands of people participated in the funeral prayers of the slain police man at his ancestral village Bomai in north Kashmir’s Baramulla district.

Earlier, a wreath laying ceremony was held today at District Police Lines Srinagar to pay homage to the slain cop.

Civil and police officers led by Director General of Police S P Vaid laid floral wreaths on the mortal remains and paid rich tributes to the policeman who made supreme sacrifice in the line of duty, the spokesman said.

He said officials from the civil administration and other security agencies were present.


Subscribe by Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *