Jahangeer Ganaie

‘Missing’ army man ‘traced’ among Hizbul ranks  

‘Missing’ army man ‘traced’ among Hizbul ranks  
Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Srinagar: An army man who had gone missing from south Kashmir earlier this month has joined the Hizbul Mujahideen militant group, police officials said Monday.

Idrees Mir, son of Mohammad Sultan Mir, a resident of Safa Nagri village of Shopian, has joined HM,  sources said. They said that a gun wielding photo making rounds on various social networking sites mentions that Idrees has been code named as ‘Chota Abrar’.

Idrees was posted in the Army’s Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry (JAKLI) unit and was currently posted in Jharkhand.

The official said Mir had gone missing from Shopian. He joined the group along with two locals who had also been missing.

The Army maintains that he is “missing” and has no confirmation about his joining the militant outfit.

Idrees’s cousin, Prince Ahmad told ‘Kashmir Vision’ that Idrees left his house on Sunday at around 4 PM.

“He left without revealing anything to us,” the cousin said, adding they were believing that he had gone to visit his friend or some relative.

“We had never thought that he will join militant ranks because he didn’t show such inclination,” he said.

“We took his going missing very casually as we believed that he will return the next morning,” he said, adding that all our attempts to reach him provide futile as he had kept his phone switched off.

“We were shocked to see his photograph claiming that he joined militant ranks,” another relative said, adding his father, a government teacher who is visually impaired, was shattered when he received the news.

The relatives said soon after the photo went viral they went to the concerned police station to lodge a missing report.

Idrees who had joined the army in 2013 has three brothers and two younger sisters besides his parents.

Pertinently, Idrees is another addition to the long list of local boys who have joined militant ranks recently.

On 10th of this month a youth identified as Tariq Ali Sheikh, resident of Mool Chitragam area in Shopian area of South Kashmir joined militant ranks as the youth also released a photo showing him carrying an AK 47 Assault rifle.

On 14th of this month, a youth identified as Khalid Farooq Malik son of Farooq Ahmed Malik resident of Alyalpora also joined the militant ranks.

During this month another youth identified as Aadil Ahmed Dar from Gundbagh Kakapora also released his photograph on social networking sites while carrying two AK 47 rifles besides some ammunition.

Idrees also joins many other young men who fled from the ranks of forces and joined militants.

On 28 October 2017, Ishfaq Ahmad Dar, a selection grade constable hailing from Heff village of Zainapora-Wachi belt in Shopian, joined militant ranks after he had returned home from Kathua police lines where he was undergoing a training programme.

On 21 May, 2017  a constable Syed Naveed Mushtaq, a resident of Shopian district, fled with four INSAS rifles, including his own rifle, from the guard post at Food Corporation of India godown at Chondpora, Budgam and later joined the Hizbul Mujahideen ranks.

On 6 July 2017, an army man identified as sepoy Zahoor Ahmad Thokar—hailing from Sirnoo village of Pulwama and posted in 173 territorial army engineering regiment at Gantmulla Baramulla district—deserted his unit along with his AK 47 and three magazines and joined the militant ranks

On 27 March 2015, Naseer Ahmad Pandit, a resident of Karimabad village in Pulwama, decamped with two AK rifles from the residence of a PDP minister with whom he was posted for duty. Pandit, however was killed in a gunfight with government forces along with another militant Wasim Malla in Vehil village of Shopian on April 7, 2016

Syed Rakib Bashir, another policeman from Zadoora-Pulwama went missing in November 2015, a day after joining the police as a special police officer (SPO).  Raqib worked as an active Hizbul militant for two-and-a-half months before he was killed in a gunfight with government forces on February 6, 2016 at Gundipora village of Pulwama.

In January 2016, Shakoor Ahmad Parray of Kumdalan village of Shopian, a security guard to a police officer in Bijbehara ran away with four rifles to join militant ranks. However, he was arrested soon by the police.


Subscribe by Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *