Muhammad Rafique

This slain militant remained active for less than a month 

This slain militant remained active for less than a month 
Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

Anantnag: Rouf Bashir Khanday, 20, was killed in an encounter that raged between forces and militants in Dialgam area of South Kashmir’s Anantnag district during the intervening night of Mar 31-Apr 01.

Rouf, was a resident of Dehruna village of Anantnag district, an area considered to be epicenter of militancy in early 90’s. However, after two decades this village hardly saw any young boy taking to arms again. However, Rouf changed it all.

Belonging to economically sound and a literate family, Rouf was killed in less than a month after joining militant ranks.

Ashiq Ahmed, brother of slain militant said that in 2016 Rouf was picked up by the government forces for having photos of militants in his phone.

He was kept in police custody for about two months where he was tortured too, his brother added.

After that Rouf used to remain silent and spend most of his time in studying and praying, his brother said, adding that “we came to know about the torture he faced in interrogation center through his friends.”

He was often being called at the Police stations to keep a record of his activities after his release in October 2016, Ashiq added.

In the beginning of March 2018, he told the family that he intends to go to Jammu to visit a friend.

“However, after three days we did not get any information about him so we lodged a missing report with the police,” he added.

“We tried hard to find him but finally on 27 March we came to know that he has joined militant ranks after his photo while holding a gun went viral on social media,” he said.

Four days later in dead of night, he got trapped in a residential house in Dialgam area along with other colleague.

Police tried it’s best to convince him to surrender but they didn’t succeeded despite his accomplice surrendering before the forces.

Bashir Ahmed Khanday, father of slain militant said that they didn’t want Rouf to surrender as they didn’t want him to be in police custody or be tortured again.

“We are proud of the fact that he remained steadfast on his belief and did not yield to the calls of surrender. Even though he was knowing that his sister was also getting married in the next week,” said Bashir Ahmad.

“But it was unfortunate that we couldn’t find his head and the portion underneath his abdomen,” he said while demanding an intervention of international rights body over the alleged use of such harsh weapons while dealing with situations of holed up militants.

His father further added that Rouf’s body was charred and was in such a condition that  they had to bury his body parts on three days.

“We found some parts of his body on day 01, his arm on day 2nd and his legs on third day. It took us three days to bury him completely,” the family said, adding that “we are in mourning but we don’t regret his death, this was God’s will and I am proud of it said his father. I believe Rouf choose a brave death.”





Subscribe by Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *